Of course, as retired NHL cyborg Mark Messier would attest, crying simply is not tolerated in and around hockey. So what really caused JR's momentary eye-dampness?
- Patrick Roy's Stanley Cup rings were in his eyes
- Standing in close proximity to Mike Milbury for
two monthsthirty seconds will do that to even the strongest of men
- The sudden realisation that 95% of NHL news for the next four months will feature the thrilling words: "Phoenix Coyotes ownership saga"
- "That bitch Chrissy Pronger was wearing the SAME outfit as me! And she knew it!"
- The vapours from Scott Hartnell's post-game hairball fumigation had just wafted into the NBC set
- The waning but beautiful memory of Dan Carcillo's graceful, languid skating and dextrous stickhandling in Game Three just wouldn't stop lingering in his mind
- Michael Leighton getting repeatedly beaten between the legs brought back nostalgia for the antics of his old teammate, Ed Belfour
- Hiding those pucks from Ben Eager exactly where Pronger told him to was starting to cause some physical discomfort